Are tax refunds legal?​

Yes - absolutely! If you've paid too much tax, you're fully entitled to a tax rebate and our tax refund calculator will estimate what it could be. Of course, HMRC isn't always going to fork it over just because you ask for it. You have to prove you're owed the money, which puts far too many people off claiming back their own cash from the taxman.

Travel and mileage tax refunds for travel to temporary workplaces are claimed under Income Tax (Earnings and Pensions) Act 2003, sections 336-339

Are Tax Refunds Legal?How could I be owed a tax refund? My tax is worked out automatically isn't it?

For most people working PAYE (for an employer), your tax is taken out of your pay before you get it. Usually, the system works perfectly well, but mistakes do sometimes happen. Maybe your employer or HMRC hasn't got all its facts straight. Perhaps they don't have all the information they need to get your calculation right. If you're unsure though it's worth checking with RIFT. We can tell you for free if you're entitled to claim tax back.

Are Tax Refunds Legal?What situations could mean I've paid too much tax?

If you're self-employed or travel to temporary workplaces, there are several ways you might be paying too much tax. Often, it's as simple as not getting the most out of your expenses. You might also have other conditions or rules affecting your tax, like if you're employed via the Construction Industry Scheme.

Another reason you might be owed a tax refund is if you've recently changed jobs, or only worked for part of the year. Situations like this can mean you've got the wrong tax code, or get issued an emergency tax code. If you've got more than one job, you might end up not getting the full benefit of your tax-free personal allowance. All of these circumstances can be fixed, meaning you get money back from the taxman.

Sometimes, the mistake might even be yours. It's easy to get things wrong on a self assessment tax return, for example. You might also forget to tell HMRC when your income from investments or renting out property drops.

Tax Refund AdviceWhat do I do if I get a tax refund I don't think I am owed?

The first thing to do is get in touch with HMRC. In fact, do this the moment you realise there's a problem. Don't put it off or expect that it'll all work out on its own. In particular, don't assume it's okay to keep quiet and hold onto the money. The taxman doesn't like to be cheated.

On the other hand, if your refund looks a little on the low side, then make some noise about that too! There are time limits on getting some kinds of claim processed, so it's worth getting the wheels turning early.

Are Tax Refunds Legal?What next?

Whether your refund seems too big or too small, if you're already a RIFT customer we'll take care of everything for you. Remember - with us on your team you'll never miss a warning sign, a deadline or an opportunity. No one knows the tax rules better than us, and we're on great terms with HMRC. Whatever tax questions or worries you have, get in touch with the UK's top refund experts.

RIFT GuaranteeOur guarantee means you'll never lose a penny

When you claim a tax rebate with RIFT, our unique RIFT Guarantee means that you don't have to worry about the taxman reclaiming any of our money.  So long as you give us full and accurate information, if HMRC disagrees with the amount that we've claimed and ask for the money back, we'll pay it.  It won't cost you a penny.

Need more help?

Wondering if you can claim a tax refund or need to submit a tax return? Use our online tools to find out if you're owed money by HMRC.

Do I Qualify?

Speak to us 6 days a week.
Mon-Thurs 08:30 - 20:00
Fri 08:30 - 18:00 and Sat 09:00 - 13:00.
RIFT Refunds, The Cobalt Building, 1600 Eureka Park, Lower Pemberton, Ashford, Kent, TN25 4BF

Call us on 01233 628648

Want to chat to a member of our team? Why not use our live chat to speak to an online advisor now?

Open live chat

RIFTPROD1 - Subscriber