Setting up a HMRC Personal Tax Account

Setting up your Personal Tax Account (PTA) means claiming your tax rebate with RIFT will be faster and simpler as we can then access all your records directly from HMRC. Firstly, you'll need to check if you're owed tax back by answering a few questions. If you are, we'll take your details, get your PTA set up, and make sure you get your money back.

How to get my tax refund quickly?What will I need to set up my Personal Tax Account?

To set up your Personal Tax Account, simply follow these simple steps:

  • Visit the HMRC Personal Tax Account webpage.
  • Choose the Government Gateway option for your ID check.
  • Verify your identity using your National Insurance number or a recent payslip, P60 or UK passport.

It takes less than 10 minutes and it means you'll get your tax rebate even back an average of 2 weeks faster.  It's got to be worth it!

The BenefitsWhy should I set up a Personal Tax Account?

The great thing about the Personal Tax Account system is how simple and streamlined it makes tackling your tax. Dealing with HMRC can involve a lot of hassle and homework, but your PTA puts most of the crucial information right at your fingertips. You can update critical details about changes in your address or circumstances – and you can track down errors much more easily than you could without an account.

As an example, when you claim a tax rebate, HMRC will sometimes alter your tax code to account for the work mileage and expenses you’ve claimed. Since those expenses will almost certainly change over time, you can easily end up paying the wrong amount of tax! Having a Personal Tax Account makes it easy to see your tax code, and simpler to get it corrected if it’s wrong.

The best news for RIFT customers is that once you're all set up you can give us access to see all your pay and tax information directly, which means:

A bigger tax rebate

The more information we have about your work and tax, the more evidence we have to build your claim. Complete and accurate information is the key to unlocking your full refund, and having access to your HMRC Personal Tax Account means we’ll be able to get back everything you’re owed. There’ll never be any missing information, so your Personal Tax Specialist will be able to build the strongest possible tax refund claim for you.

A faster tax rebate
As soon as you’re ready to claim again, we can log into your PTA to see exactly what information HMRC has about your earnings and the tax and National Insurance you’ve paid. This means we can get to work right away, so when the new tax year ticks over on the 6th of April we'll have everything we need to jump you straight to the head of the queue.

A hassle-free tax refund
A Personal Tax Account means much less work for you. For one thing, you won't have to send us your payslips and P60s every year. There'll be no time wasted hunting for old paperwork, no delays tracking down or replacing lost documents or emails and no more chasing up previous employers or waiting for the post. You won’t even need to make all those extra trips to the Post Office.

How to get my tax rebate quickly?What else can I do with my personal tax account?

HMRC is adding more options all the time to the service. Right now, you can already:

  • Check your Income Tax estimate and tax code.
  • See your Self Assessment calculation.
  • Check and manage your Tax Credits or State Pension.
  • Track tax forms you’ve submitted online.
  • Check or update your Marriage Allowance.
  • Tell HMRC about a change of address.
  • Check or update any benefits you get from work. This includes things like company car details and medical insurance, which are needed to get the most from your tax rebate.
  • Check your UTR number if you're self-employed. You’ll need this every time you go toe-to-toe with the taxman.
  • Claim a tax refund.
  • Appoint someone you trust to manage your account for you.

If you need any help with setting up your Personal Tax Account, or if you have any questions, please get in touch with us.

Why choose RIFTTax Rebates & Tax Returns made easy

If you're paying your own way to temporary workplaces, whether that means driving your own vehicle or taking public transport, you could be owed a tax rebate by HMRC. It doesn’t stop there, though. Depending on your circumstances, work-related expenses from food and accommodation on the road to fixing, cleaning or replacing uniforms and essential equipment can all count toward getting your tax back. With an average 4-year tax rebate payout of £3,023, taking a moment to answer our 4 simple questions could be the most valuable minute of your week.

Our GuaranteeOur guarantee means you'll never lose a penny

When you claim a tax rebate with RIFT, our unique RIFT Guarantee means you never have to worry about the taxman reclaiming any of your money.  So long as you give us full and accurate information, if HMRC ever disagreed with the amount we claimed and asked for the money back, we’d pay them from our pockets, not yours. It won't cost you a penny!

Need more help?

Wondering if you can claim a tax refund or need to submit a tax return? Use our online tools to find out if you're owed money by HMRC.

Do I Qualify?

Speak to us 6 days a week.
Mon-Thurs 08:30 - 20:00
Fri 08:30 - 18:00 and Sat 09:00 - 13:00.
RIFT Refunds, The Cobalt Building, 1600 Eureka Park, Lower Pemberton, Ashford, Kent, TN25 4BF

Call us on 01233 628648

Want to chat to a member of our team? Why not use our live chat to speak to an online advisor now?

Open live chat

RIFTPROD1 - Subscriber