What is the HMRC SA1 Form?

An SA1 form is a document that registers a person for self assessment tax returns. It's used by people who aren't self-employed, but need to register for other reasons. All you need to do is download the SA1 form and fill in the bits we've highlighted for you.

Download the HMRC SA1 Form

A lot of people think that self assessment only applies to the self-employed. That mistake trips up a lot of people who are owed a tax rebate. If you're claiming over £2,500 in expenses, you need to fill in this form or your tax return claim's going nowhere.

Why do you need a HMRC SA1 Form?

The SA1 form is a vital part of securing your tax return. We need it to get you a Unique Taxpayer Reference (UTR) number. Without it, you can't register for self assessment to claim for expenses over £2,500.

What's a UTR?

Your UTR is the ten-digit number the taxman uses to identify you when you register for self assessment. It's not just for the self-employed; there are lots of reasons people have to register. For example, if you're claiming a tax refund and have expenses of over £2,500, you need a UTR.

It can take a while for HMRC to sort out your UTR. The sooner you sign your SA1 form and get it back to us, the faster the taxman's wheels will turn. If you don't send the form back quickly you may miss your chance of claiming your refund.

What do I have to do with the SA1?

All you need to do is download the SA1 form and do the following:

  • Fill in the About You section
  • Fill in your National Insurance number
  • Sign it and post it back

Once you have printed and signed your forms you need to send the forms back to us by post as quickly as you can to get your refund claim underway. We know this seems a little bit old fashioned now, but it’s a legal requirement that we have a physical copy of the signed form. All you have to do is write Freepost RIFT on any envelope, put the documents inside and pop it in the first post box you see. It'll be sent to us at no cost to you.

Or you can pay the postage and send your completed tax refunds pack to us at:

RIFT Ltd, RIFT House, 200 Eureka Park, Upper Pemberton, Ashford, Kent, TN25 4AZ

How does RIFT use it?

Once you've sent us the signed SA1 form, we use it to get your UTR and handle your tax refund claim. Make sure you send us two signed Authorising your agent (64-8) forms as well, so the taxman knows it's okay to talk to us.

What happens once I've sent it back?

When we've got your SA1 and 64-8s, we can start tackling the taxman for you. We'll need some basic information about your expenses and where you've worked. Don't worry; we'll talk you through it step by step.

If you need a stand alone self assessment tax return completed we can do all the work for you.