P55 is a form you can use to claim back overpaid tax after you’ve “flexibly accessed” your pension pot, without emptying it. You can use it to claim back tax if you’ve taken part of your pension pot and won’t be taking regular payments from it, and if your pension body can’t give you a tax rebate itself.

Depending on your circumstances, you might need a different form instead. P55 is specifically for people who haven’t emptied their pension pots. If you’ve:

  • Emptied your pension pot and are still working or claiming benefits, you need form P53Z.
  • Emptied your pension pot and aren’t working or getting benefits, use form P50Z.